Re: Machining / Lathe questions

Original poster: "Tz'Akh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <zak-at-newalexandria-dot-org>

 > start practicing.  Are there any lathes out there for under $500.00 that
 > would be okay for practicing and would be tabletop sized (not a huge floor
 > mounted lathe)???
 >
 > Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
 >
 > The Captain

I recommend looking into Harbor Freight, as they have a wide array of tooling
which is reasonable in price.  Be warned that most of these tools come out of
China, and are not always of a high quality - however, I have yet to encounter
anythignn that is complete trash (that was not obviously so from thier ad).

http://www.harborfreight-dot-com/

You may, in particular, be interested in these:

http://www.harborfreight-dot-com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44859
http://www.harborfreight-dot-com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45861

Northern Tool http://www.northerntool-dot-com/ also has several units

http://www.northerntool-dot-com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=
6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=130704
http://www.northerntool-dot-com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=
6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=7171

though be careful of anything that is a multi-function tool (lathe/drill
press), they are notorious for doing neither job very well.

good luck
Zak