Re: Machining / Lathe questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/19/03 7:21:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>2.  Secondly, I'm finding that lathe work is becoming a requirement on
>almost all my new tesla and high voltage projects (as well as others) and
>I'm finding the very high prices of out-of-house machining to be very
>restrictive so I think its in my best interest to invest in a lathe and
>start practicing.  Are there any lathes out there for under $500.00 that
>would be okay for practicing and would be tabletop sized (not a huge floor
>mounted lathe)???
>
>Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>The Captain

Hi Cap'n
        Depending on the size of the pieces you will ultimately be
machining, Harbor Freight Tools www.harborfreight-dot-com has a tabletop lathe
starting for about $395. They also have outlet stores in many locations to
avoid S&H. However, by the time you get a good assortment of cutting tools,
holders, bits, jigs, etc., you will hit $500 with no trouble. They also
have larger sizes for more $$ on up to several k$. Northern Tool,
www.northerntool-dot-com has similar items but is a little pricier. Sometimes
they have a free shipping special. Depending on specials and location, one
or the other might be better.

Matt D.