Re: Over-coupled or under-insulated?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/15/03 11:38:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>First thing, I goofed on the primary diameter. It has two inches spacing
>all around the secondary and for some reason I thought it was 9.25. It is
>actually a 10.25 diameter, flat pancake coil. I haven't had any trouble
>with the primary sparking, (to answer the previous email) but I have about
>4 or 5 extra turns left. Win tesla says it should be tuned at turn 6.
>That's where I have it currently. The toroid has a 27 inch outermost
>diameter made with 3 inch flex tubing. It is spaced 4.5 inches above the
>uppermost winding, with the wire being slowly tapered off to prevent top
>turn corona. The sparks are all confined to the middle of the secondary,
>and it's not sparking to anywhere else, just along itself. The power supply
>is a 9/120 NST, cap is .05uf, spark gap is a vaccum RQ gap. I am using a
>variac to slowly bring up the power. Here are a couple of pics:
>
>Here is an old picture (the wiring was replaced with thicker gauge, the
>primary was trimmed, secondary raised a LOT, etc) of the large coil with my
>mini coil on top. The secondary and toroid still look exactly the same.
>
><http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/miniattoribus.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/miniattoribus.jpg
>

>This is a picture of the spark gap. The pipes sit with the gaps over the
>slits in the pipe. The vaccum motor on the top then pulls the air through
>the slits.
>
><http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SG-1.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SG-1.jpg
>
>The transformer. Pretty self-explanitory. Directly behind it you can see
>the way the secondary is supported. There are 4 threaded rods with nuts on
>them that the whole base that the secondary sits on. That way,  I can raise
>and lower the secondary at my discretion. However, I ran out of rod length
>to raise the coil up, so i ended putting a couple of boards underneath to
>raise it higher.
>
><http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NST-1.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NST-1.jpg
>
>So there's the five cent grand tour. (I would put all of this stuff on a
>website if I knew how) If you need any other info, be sure to ask.
>
>   Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz "
>
>In a message dated 3/13/03 9:03:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>

>Chris,

Chris,

I haven't checked out your pictures yet - but I will.  Is the bottom of the
secondary grounded?  How far away is the ground rod?  What size wire is
connected to it?

Ed Sonderman