Re: What's truly better?

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

The "parallel system" with the cap across the xfmr, Tesla said was great for
spark length, but hard on components.  The "series system" with gap across
the xfmr, was not as good, but safer for components and good for transmitter
use.  From what I have seen, the parallel system seems to be the one found
in plans by those with no experience.  The series system is normally seen
used by those with experience.  The parallel system is probably OK xfmr
wise, if there is a lot of corona loss on the caps. (foil/SW caps)  I ran
this way from 92 to 98, using NSTs without protection, (chokes were arcing
over) without NST failure.  I had tried to get a series system working
during this time, but I think corona losses on the caps prevented it from
working. (would not fire the gap)  My first try at the MMC in 92, was
probably foiled by the rough nature of the system and that I used ceramic
disc caps. (they'd melt or vaporize!)  I did most of my ball lightning work
on parallel systems, and it may be the rougher nature, that is most useful
for BL production.  Once my Faraday cage is done, I plan to test the
series/parallel systems on identical coils for BL production and spark
length. (if I get the time!)  For high power coils the series system, I
think, is safer for the coil, due to smoother operation and less stress on
components.  As for newbies, I would say that the series system would be
better, as there is less chance of blowing expensive parts and filtering is
much easier.

David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>