Re: NST current

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/13/03 3:25:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>Is there any way to increase the current output of a 12kv 30ma neon sign
>transformer without causing serious harm to any of the parts? My local sign
>shop only carries 30ma units, and I was wondering what I could do to
>increase the secondary current output without buying another NST and
>running them in parallel.

Rodney,

I think Captain Corona pretty much covered the answer in his posting.
One thing that I might add is that depotting is a very challenging and
MESSY task and  the depotting process itself may irrepairably
damage the NST. You can indeed increase the output current of the
NST by depotting it (assuming you are successful with this step) and
removing the core shunts. There are several other list members who
have successfully depotted and beefed up their NSTs and they could
give you more insight into this process. One thing is for sure; if you use any
NST or OBIT as a power transformer for your coil, whether depotted or
not, I would strongly suggest utilizing Terry's protective filter circuit to
prolong and protect your NST(s) or OBIT(s) since these transformers
are notorious for sudden failure in Tesla service. And I speak here from
experience ;-( That's why I now use a distribution  transformer :-)

Sparkin' in the Memphis area,
David Rieben