Re: Input power measurement - Modifying Power Meters

The  comment about SI units was in fun, however, the kWh is not a SI unit.
Yes it measures energy, but it's not a power of 10 times the base unit
(joule)...

And as far as practicality goes, Megajoules or Gigajoules would be the
appropriate unit for measuring a house's electrical consumption... (I
suppose we should be glad that we don't have electric bills rendered in
terms of the mass of silver plated from one electrode to the other in an
Edison cell)

Ergs are a more natural unit when working in cgs units, although, I have to
say I haven't seen much use of them.

And, in the nuclear field, eV is a pretty standard energy measurement, as is
the barn for cross section.  I think shakes have gone by the wayside.

I was gratified on a trip to Australia a few years ago to see that they
eschew the calorie and advertise and sell "Low Joule soft drinks", and the
nutritional information on the label is in terms of Joules instead of
calories. (even if calories are more convenient when calculating temperature
rise of water heating)