Re: Input power measurement

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>I have a couple of standard house style watt-hour meters that

>I purchased just for this application.

         OK.

>The problem is that the dials rotate too slowly to be useful.

         Even the disc?
         Might need a second observer, with a watch...

>Does anyone have any ideas as to how to soup up the dials.

         Bigger Tesla Coil?
         8)>>

         Fair question, I've not monkeyed with trying to
         vary the sensitivity.  Dunno if there are calibration
         adjustments (and: once 'adjusted' the calibration would
         be Very Suspect.)
         The design is tightly optimized for 'house size'
         loads, so may bot be Real Adaptable.
         CONCEPTUALLY, a current transformer could be used
         to 'fool' the meter's current winding, however it would
         be a nonstandard device.  Ditto a transformer for the
         voltage winding...

         I DO recall that many such are marked '15A', and am
         told that this DOES NOT mean 15A is max, rather that
         15A is the current used to calibrate...

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...