Re: Formless secondaries

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Mark-

G'day yourself!

Let me say I think the formless-coil notion is a good one.  As to
space-winding, I wound two secondaries that way.  I first wound a
sonotube tightly with cotton twine, then wound firmly over the twine a
layer of wide "plumber's tape" (very thin teflon tape used for making
pipe threads liquid-tight).  I then wound the wire over the teflon,
keeping it in the spiral groove formed by the twine.  The teflon acted to
press down the fuzziness of the twine.  The twine being of larger
diameter than the wire, the result was a coil with spacing.

For a formless coil, perhaps you could split a form as you describe, and
then wind a tight layer of twine over that and varnish it thoroughly.
Then cut the twine along the split.  Then when you wind the wire over it
and lightly fix the turns as you describe, they will end up spaced.
Possibly you would need to utilize alignment pins in the form to keep the
spiral at the split accurately aligned.

You might look into a product called Q-dope, or the like.  It's liquid
polystyrene & dries by evaporation of the solvent.  I suspect that it has
just about the best electrical characteristics of anything available.  I
used it to fix the turns on one of my coils (with a form) by just running
8 beads of it down the length of the coil.

Regards,

Ken Herrick
California