Re: "ring terminal" & alligator clips

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 06:38 PM 07/03/03 -0700, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 >Hi,
 >
 >I just buy the nice clips and wire separately and make up my own with heat
 >shrink strain reliefs and all.  DigiKey has nice clips and the nice rubber
 >test lead wire.  When I make my own, they last forever.

<SNIP>

 >What someone really needs to do is make alligator clips with real quality
 >insulated crimp connectors to hold the wire.

Hello Terry, Coilers,

As an aircraft electrician I have to use proper FAA-PMA approved terminals
and the ratcheting type of crimping tool to be compliant with regulations.
The price difference between the "cheapies" and the quality ones is not a
great deal, and I'll suggest to all that you break down and buy a quality
crimping tool and have it as a life-time investment.  I recall being told
by many a good mechanic that if you buy good tools the first time, you'll
not need to buy another.

As to alligator or crocodile clips, we use the Mueller Electric ones here,
along with their boots.  They come in a variety of forms and sizes so you
can pick and choose to suit your own specific needs.  I get mine from one
of the electronic suppliers in Toronto, Electro-Sonic, but a search with
Google should turn up a local Mueller dealer.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle