Re: "ring terminal" use in tesla coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 >Those "crush the wire as hard as you can" cheap $7 crimpers are not
 > that great unless you have a super grip and know just how to do it.  If
you
 > use the cheap tool, soldering is recommended, but then you need a
 > temperature controlled soldering iron or great skill to avoid burning up
 > the nylon insulator or wire insulation...  After a few years, your wrist
go
 > out and you need to buy the right tool anyway (guess how I know this
 > ;-)))  You also need to get the expensive terminals too that really do
work.

If you are using cheap ring lugs, you should probably remove the plastic
insulator first prior to soldering to prevent it from melting.  Also, if you
have the
funds, I'd avoid using PVC insulated wire as it does melt rather easily.  I
almost always use teflon coated wire as well as military ring lugs which use
the
teflon insulator.  You can basically soldering these all day and the
insulation won't melt.  I forget the actual MS number for these type of ring
lugs, but if anyone
is interested I can dig it up for you.  The teflon wire and ring lugs aren't
much more expensive than the PVC / nylon types.

Of course,  you can always buy ring lugs without the insulator piece as
well.

Also regarding crocodile clips (alligator clips to you yanks!), for hardcore
type connections, you can get the large battery-clip type clips.  These are
great for quickly connecting up
large components etc... and only cost about $1.50 each at Newark electronics
or similar supplier.  For these, I just solder (using propane torch) my
4AWG - 8AWG wire directly to
them and then insulate using glue-filled heatshrink tubing.

The Captain

 > I would get the none insulated bare terminals and crimp and solder them
and
 > then use heat shrink tubing for a very good termination on a budget.  It
 > takes a little work, but anyone can do it and not much can go wrong.
Radio