Re: "ring terminal" use in tesla coil

Hi,

I just buy the nice clips and wire separately and make my own with heat
shrink strain reliefs and all.  DigiKey has nice clips and the nice rubber
test lead wire.  When I make my own, they last forever.  The cheap bags of
clips you find at your favorite electronics store last a only few days it
seems...  Maybe nice for CMOS signals, but dangerous for power
connections.  As Ken points out, the wire connection are often very poor.

What someone really needs to do is make alligator clips with real quality
insulated crimp connectors to hold the wire.  The traditional hole that you
solder somewhere and the flimsy ears to hold the wire could be vastly
improved upon with a little thought.  Next time I see one of those guys
from AMP, I'll try to remember to pester them about it ;-)  I would gladly
pay more for a fast reliable crimp rather than those Frankenstein era wire
"connections" that are traditional now on alligator clips.

For standard crimp terminals.  Those $50 ratchet crimping tools can connect
the wires and grab the insulation very well and provide excellent
connections fast and easy.  Well worth the cost of the "right" tool
there.  Those "crush the wire as hard as you can" cheap $7 crimpers are not
that great unless you have a super grip and know just how to do it.  If you
use the cheap tool, soldering is recommended, but then you need a
temperature controlled soldering iron or great skill to avoid burning up
the nylon insulator or wire insulation...  After a few years, your wrist go
out and you need to buy the right tool anyway (guess how I know this
;-)))  You also need to get the expensive terminals too that really do work.

I would get the none insulated bare terminals and crimp and solder them and
then use heat shrink tubing for a very good termination on a budget.  It
takes a little work, but anyone can do it and not much can go wrong.  Radio
shack has the bare terminals and you can crush them with pliers if the $7
tool is too much cash.  Personally, I "would" save the $7 in that case and
just use pliers.  They can't be that much worse and the solder will "fix"
things anyway.

Cheers,

         Terry