Re: copper tubing thickness?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Not at all.  1/4" copper tubing is overkill for even a 12/60 although most
use it for high power NSTs (12/60 and 15/60) because its readily available,
easy to use, and inexpensive.

I wouldn't go to 3/8" unless you are planning on using a small pole
transformer (3-5kva) in the near future.

Also, make sure you make more turns than needed.  You'll always need some
room for tapping your primary when experimenting with different cap sizes,
different NSTs, and different
toroids.

The Captain

 > 1/4"OD is pretty small.. you might want to bump up to 3/8"..
 > Wall thickness is unimportant (thinner the better, because it's cheaper
and
 > lighter).. because the skin effect will push all the current to the
surface
 > anyway (why 3/8" might actually be better...)
 >
 > Be careful about "nominal sizes" vs actual sizes..
 >
 > "refrigeration tubing" is sold by actual OD
 >
 > Copper tubing (pipe) in various types (M, L, K, from thinnest to thickest
 > wall.. M is what's used inside your house)) is sized more like iron pipe
 > (but still different). There are two kinds, hard and soft, hard comes in
20
 > foot lengths, soft comes in coils..
 >
 > In L type, 1/4" tubing is .375" OD (3/8"), and .315" ID, 3/8" tubing is
 > actualy 0.5" OD, 0.430" ID, etc..

<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"