Re: Winding/coating...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <beans45601-at-themail-dot-com>

I asked this same question when i first got started. I always wondered, why
are these people wrapping these tubes, just use a solid metal tube. Well,
the reason is, if you had i solid tube of metal, the ratio of your
transformer would 10:1. 10 turnes being the primary, 1 being the secondary.
You would get about the same voltage in you put out (well, i think the
same). When you wind you coil, you are making it 10:1000. This way, you
have a transformer. I think someone could probally describe it better, but
it made sence to me.
Thanks
Adam

->
->
->where did you get your wire?
->
->
->
->i went to radio shack and they only had a small amount, and the guy had
->no
->
->idea what i was trying to do. he didn't even know who or what Tesla was.
->
->hahaha! actually, when i was in school i never heard anything about
->Tesla-
->
->that really is weird.
->
->
->
->why do i need to wind a pvc pipe? how come i can't use a solid piece of
->
->copper pipe?
->
->
->
->
->
->thanks
->
->
->
->
->
->
->
->jlb
->
->
->
->
->
->
->
-> > You really don't need anything that fancy unless you are winding
->maybe a
->
-> > coil per week or more.  A simple jig consisting
->
-> > of two dowels (one for wire spool, one for secondary) is all you need
->for
->
-> > almost all but the largest coils.
->
-> >
->
-> > I use the "poor-man's winding jig" which is shown here:
->
-> >
->
-> > <a href="http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/ctc3_secondary02.jpg"
->target="_new">http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/ctc3_secondary02.jpg</a>
->
-> >
->
-> > I've handwound many coils on this thing and even the largest one
->shown
->
->here
->
-> > only took about an hour to wind
->
-> > by hand.
->
-> >
->
-> > The Captain
->
-> >
->
-> >
->
-> >
->
-> >
->
-> > Well... Now I guess I need a winding/coating rig.. first I guess
->
->coating...
->
-> > so im thinking pot controled steper motor.. Got a nice big printer
->steper
->
-> > motor.. and a scanner one with gears on it allready
->
-> > Honestly I don't think the printer steper would need downgearing
->really,
->
-> > its got enufe torque and can be run at slow enufe speeds with the
->right
->
-> > driver...
->
-> > I got some footpedals for my steering wheel that detach too, so I
->could
->
-> > have pedals for winding speed control..
->
-> > But that brings me to a question... either way... im gonna need
->something
->
-> > to hold the tube... what would I use? atm im gonna be using just a
->12"
->
->long
->
-> > 1" across pvc tube...
->
-> > but id like to be able to adjust to it other tubes later on.... so
->mabey
->
-> > just 2 ends I can clamp onto a bench to adjust for tube length, but
->
->still..
->
-> > tube diamater... I don't have shop access.. tho my brother does
->weld..
->
-> > Next question... what kinda driver could I use for a steper motor?
->
-> > perferabley a revirseable one (perferabley revirseable by just a
->single
->
-> > pot) and perferabley common... my local shop likes to play the "got a
->
->cheap
->
-> > 5amp 100v or higher mosfet?" "uhh, what part number" "hmm... xxxx"
->"no"
->
-> > "xxxx" "no" "xxxx" "no" (on for 1/2 an hour) "xxxx" "Yes" "ok! how
->much is
->
-> > it" "$30" "uhhh... for a 5amp 100v mosfet? yeash...." and I usally
->just go
->
-> > home at that point...
->
-> > I assume its cause its discontuined or something...
->
-> > Sigh... a place that accepts money orders or something with whatever
->part
->
-> > would be nice too...
->
-> >
->
-> > _
->
-> >
->
-> >
TheMail-dot-com - Full featured premium email you can count on.
Sign-up today at http://www.themail-dot-com/