Re: A working SRSG, FINALLY!

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok, here are my thoughts as to what is going on, please correct me.

This is an example of what happens with my coil.  The Phase setting is set
to allow the maximum attainable voltage at a 50% input setting.  This
settings gives the longest sparks (at this moment).  The safety does not
fire.  When i increase the voltage across the capacitor, not much happens,
since the spark gap is timed or phased to discharge the capacitor at the
previous setting.  So to compensate, i must adjust the dwell time to be
later in the AC phase (my guess anyway).  When i do this, the sparks grow
further, but then, the safety kicks in.  My guess is that the safety is
probably set to about 12kv.  If the electrodes are not there in time, the
safety discharges the cap rather than the spark gap.  So, unless i widen
the safety, i can not achieve more than the safety gap is set for (which
might be like 12kv).  So even at high power, i am limited in a way.

  This leads me to believe that the safety is set too small rather than the
RGS being incorrectly phased.  Please correct me if im wrong.  So should i
set it more than 11/32"?  What is safe for a 16kvdc capacitor to see?  I
would not imagine over a 1/2" safety gap.  Perhaps i am severly limiting my
coils peformance with a too small of a safety gap?  Hmmm, but then again, i
may already be stressing my other components.  My caps are getting pretty
warm.  Im using 3 strings of 10, 1600V .15uf 942 series CDE caps.
Theoretically, they should easily handle the RMS and peak currents of the
system, unless Java TC and Java MMC are a bit off base with the I
calcs.  My transformer runs pretty warm to, but it doesnt bother me too
much.  Maybe its time for a better cap?

Steve Ward.