Re: Contactor question

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

I may be off base, however some MOTOR STARTERS look like
CONTACTORS.  Some MOTOR STARTERS have built in overcurrent
protection...

??

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

>The contactor will be the master switch for the system. The deadman switch
>is in series with the coil. There is also an over-current circuit that will
>shutdown the system in case of extreme currents. Before this system is put
>into actual use I want to make sure the contacts can survive opening with a
>minimum amount of burn. I've found variac brushes to be expensive and
>contacts for a contactor are expensive to replace as well. Aside from that
>a welded contact would mean a very unsafe condition allowing power

>to flow in a situation where shutdown should have occured.
>Rick W.

>  > The contact opens as in shuts off?

>>Maybe your the coil is dropping out because it's not

>>getting whatever it needs to hold the contacts closed. Is it an AC or DC
>>coil?

         Fair question.  'DC' coils will operate on AC, tho
         takes some thought to get tem reliable.  Likewise
         AC coils on DC.

--
         best
         dwp