RE: DRSSTC -- EMI scope problems

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 11:34 23/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>

>I thought it might be directly affecting the beam, it
>got better when on its side, and no probes attached,
>but now with additional input it shows the beam is
>just deflected the other way (reletive to the
>scope)the sinewaves look like they're almost loops.

That's what I saw on my rig too! It's got to be a sure sign that the
magnetic field is affecting the CRT directly.

>I was thinking about making an extension with TV
>cable, because I already tried changing its position,
>and it just changed the axis of interference.

TV cable (I mean the 75 ohm coaxial kind, not 300 ohm ribbon) will screw up
the response of 10x probes completely. You could probably make your own
low-Z 1x probes out of it, but they would present a very heavy load when
probing gate drive signals, logic circuits, and the like.

However TV cable would be ideal for a back-terminated probe. It has 75 ohm
terminations: one at the scope end, and a 75 ohm resistor at the probe end.
One end of this resistor connects to the coax core and you probe the
circuit with the other end. It has an impedance of 150 ohms and a 2x
attenuation. The cable can be as long as you like because it's matched :))
By using two resistors at the probe end, a 75 ohm to ground and a 3712 ohm
to the signal you're probing, you could make a back-terminated 100x probe
that would be more suitable for measuring 100s of volts at high frequencies.

>How would the ferrite rings help? The stuff I want out
>is the same frequency I want to measure!

You put the whole coax through the ferrite ring. It lets through the
desired normal-mode signal, since the current flows in one direction in the
core and the opposite direction in the screen. But any common-mode signal
(current flowing in the screen only) gets choked out. In theory that is ;)
But we already know you have a magnetic field problem that only some
serious iron shielding, or moving the scope further away, would fix. Or you
could pester your parents for one of those $1000 Tek scopes with an LCD
screen :))

Steve C.