Re: SRSG info

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/18/03 7:27:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Would like to know if there is a rule of thumb relative as at what point do
>you switch over from stationary spark gap to SRSG?
>Is there a some sort of a criteria, because I was told that if you are
>running under 2kW of power there is no need for SRSG, just stick with the
>pipes?
>Comments welcome

Zoran,

It depends on the design of the static gap.  As you increase the current
available from the high voltage power supply, a point will come where the
gap will not quench and a continuous power arc will develop.  My original
RQ style gap (six copper segments with fan) would not quench at 15,000
volts & 180 ma.  Gary Lau has designed a sucker style gap that seems to be
quite effective at high power.  Gary - have you found the limit to this
design yet?

Ed Sonderman