Re: Optimum capacitor size

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Hi Martin,

You must be using relatively large wire (14 to 16 awg?) if closewound for
2500 ft or you have spacewound using 18 awg? Either way, if 50 inch winding
length, then your realistically looking at a ballpark frequency near 124kHz
(indoors running). The only reason I was looking at that is to take a look
at primary turns, reason being that these larger coils often get stuck with
only a few turns on the primary and as the cap size is increased, the
primary turns decreases. I'm not saying it won't run well, just something
to be aware of.

For example, for a 124kHz secondary, your primary (if flat) would linger
around 7 turns for a 0.04uF cap (which isn't terrible on these large coils)
and is probably about the size I would run considering five 12/60's for
300mA secondary supply. As the Captain mentioned, LTR is nice, but not
easily incorporated in a large coil due to turns decreasing and cap costs.

I use to have a very similar coil in size and h/d wound with 18 awg. It was
closewound. I had a lot of fun with it, and ran 0.02uF, 0.04uF, 0.06uF. I
remember favoring 240BPS SRSG with the 0.04uF cap size.

I'm working on and off on a new JavaTC and trying to get back on it. The
new v.10 has a cosolidated output that you can save, pop in an email as I
did below, or whatever. Anyway, popped in your specs using 18 awg and a
0.04uF cap. Below is the output. I used my garage as a template for the
surroundings and of course made a few of my own assumptions (like how high
the bottom of the secondary is off the ground plane). Might be interesting
to take a look through. This version isn't up at the website yet (still
have an issue to fix with the auto-tune).

Take care,
Bart

J A V A T C v.10 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT

Units = inches
-----------------------------Surroundings:
103 = Ground Plane Radius
103 = Wall Radius
150 = Wall Height
103 = Ceiling Radius
150 = Ceiling Height
-----------------------------Secondary Coil:
6.25 = Radius 1
6.25 = Radius 2
25 = Height 1
75 = Height 2
760 = Turns
18 = Wire Awg
-----------------------------Primary Coil:
8.25 = Radius 1
13.22 = Radius 2
25 = Height 1
25 = Height 2
7.125 = Turns
.375 = Wire Diameter
.04 = Primary Cap (uF)
-----------------------------Secondary Outputs:
124 [kHz] = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 [deg°] = Angle of Secondary
15.2 = Turns Per inch
2487.1 [ft] = Length of Wire
4 = H/D Aspect Ratio
15.88 [ohms] = DC Resistance
32513 [ohms] = Reactance
12.23 [lbs] = Weight of Wire
38.173 [mH] = Les-Effective Series Inductance
35.88 [mH] = Lee-Energy Storage Inductance
41.731 [mH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
43.832 [pF] = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
40.465 [pF] = Cee-Energy Storage Capacitance
76.013 [pF] = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
74.971 [mils] = Skin Depth
29.805 [pF] = Total Top Load Capacitance
---------------------------------------------------Primary Outputs:
124.69 [kHz] = Primary Resonant Frequency
0.55 [%] = Percent Detuned
0 [deg°] = Angle of Primary
40.048 [ft] = Length of Wire
0.322 [inch] = Average spacing between turns
2 [inch] = Primary to Secondary Clearance
40.732 [uH] = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
206.147 [uH] = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.158 [k] = Coupling Coefficient
--------------------------------------------------Transformer Inputs:
120 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage
12000 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage
300 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current
60 [Hz] = Mains Frequency
120 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage
0 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current
--------------------------------------------------Transformer Outputs:
3600 [watts] = Rated Transformer Power
40000 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence
12000 [volts] = Effective Output Voltage
30 [amps] = Effective Input Current
3600 [watts] = Effective Input Power
0.066 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size
663 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size
16968 [volts] = Peak Voltage Across Cap
59982 [volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating
5.76 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy
531.7 [amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current
60 [inch] = Spark Length
-------------------------------------------------Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:
1 = Number of Stationary Gaps
8 = Number of Rotating Electrodes
1800 [rpm] = Motor RPM
.375 [inch] = Electrode Diameter
10.6 [inch] = Rotating Path Diameter
-------------------------------------------------Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:
8 = Presentations Per Revolution
240 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
999 [IPS] = Rotational Speed
4.17 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate
8 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge
2.6 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction
0.0016 [sec] = Time at 1 Time Constant
92.6 [%] = Percent Cap Charged at Gap Conduction
15713 [volts] = Effective Cap Voltage
4.94 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
494024 [volts] = Terminal Voltage
1185 [watt-seconds] = Cap Power
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Static
Spark Gap Inputs:
4 = Number of Electrodes
.625 [inch] = Electrode Diameter
.3 [inch] = Total Gap Spacing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Static
Spark Gap Outputs:
0.1 [inch] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode
16968 [volts] = Charging Voltage
16930 [volts] = Arc Voltage
99.8 [%] = Percent Cap Charged at Gap Conduction
8 [ms] = Time for Cap to Fully Charge
7.982 [ms] = Time for Cap to Charge to Arc Voltage
125 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
5.73 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
532280 [volts] = Terminal Voltage
718 [watt-seconds] = Cap Power