Need help identifying the terminals on my first NST, and how do I test it....

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <JACKBINTHEBOX-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello All !

You've all helped me a great deal so far building my first TC.  Thanks!

I just received my first NST in the mail.  It's a Magnetek Jefferson
Electric Luminous Tube Transformer:

PRI: 120V 60HZ  360VA
SEC: 12,000V  30MA
SEC Midpoint Grounded

It has two terminals in big ceramic cylinders on either side of the box
labeled S1 and S2, and has another smaller terminal on one of the sides
with two electrodes named P1 and P2.  There is also a terminal named GRD,
which must be the ground.

My question is, which of these terminals connects to my coil, and which
terminals connect to my power supply?  And what do I do with the Ground
terminal?  If I connect a three prong plug power cable to this transformer,
do I only want to use the + and -- and leave the ground disconnected?  I
know I dont want the TC connected to my house ground, so do I run a nice
thick cable from the ground terminal on the transformer to a spike in the
ground?

Also, how can I test this transformer?  I don't have a meter that can check
it, so do I need to do a spark test?  If so, how do I do that with killing
myself?

Go easy on me, I know these are very simple questions but I have never
worked with HV power before.

Thanks!
Jack