Re: Maxwell High Voltage Capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/12/03 7:44:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>On the otherhand I look at caps like these and figure I'll never be able
>to afford enough of them to make a "coin shrinker".
>
>-Pete Lawrence.

Hi Pete,

Sometimes you can find surplus single capacitor units on ebay that
are large enough (5 kJ & up) for "coin shrinking" on can crushing for a
decent price. I have two 100 uFD, 10 kV pulse cap units that I pur-
chased off of ebay. One is a Maxwell and the other is an NWL. The
Maxwell is painted orange and the NWL is gray but otherwise they
are identical 7 1/2" X 14" X 24" tall, 140 lb. rectangular steel cans.
I ended up w/ a total if about $373, shipping included, in the Maxwell
but got the NWL at a real bargain w/ only $161 total in it. So if you
shop around you can get some pretty wicked large pulse caps at
a fraction of their original pri$e. I think caps like this run in the $1000s
new. BTW, the Tesla coil sized caps ( generally in the 0.01 to 0.1
uFD range ) are way too small to be of any practicality for coin shrink-
ers.

David Rieben