Re: Sparks between strike rail and primary

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

The primary inductor acts like an auto-transformer similar to the same way a
variac works.  The HV is being multiplied beyond your primary tap.  In the
variac example, you input 240 VAC and can get an output of 280 VAC at the
right tap.

To prevent the HV primary from firing over you must keep the ground rail at
least 4-5 inches away from the outer end of the primary inductor.

A simple coating of insulation won't stop the 50-60 kV that appears out
beyond the tap especially if you have 4-8 extra unused turns.  We usually
use 4-5 outer taps for tuning on our "scrap wire" primary and then later,
when doing the final construction with copper tubing, we keep only an
additional 1 or 2 turns.  Strike rail is elevated 2 inch above primary and 5
inches away.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.