Re: Strike Ring

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 08:11 AM 05/06/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Jeremy D. Gassmann by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gassmajd-at-email.uc.edu>

 >Hi group,
 >
 >I have a question about the strike ring to protect the primary and hence
 >the NST's from taking a direct strike from the output of the coil.
 >My question is, how high above the primary (or how low below the toroid)
 >should I place the ring and how much distance should I leave from end to
 >end of the ring so that I have nowhere near a shorted primary turn.

<SNIP>

Hi Jeremy, Coilers,

Leave about a two inch space between the ends of the strike ring and you
should be fine on the "shorted turn" issue.  As to its spacing from the
primary, I've found that if it's a couple of inches above the outer-most
turn of the primary, it works just fine.  My primary is 10 turns total,
with the tap at turn 7, so there's a bit of auto-transformer action in
my primary making the free end hot.  I don't have troubles with arcing
from the primary free end to the strike ring.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle