Re: do you HAVE to make a motor sync?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

No, quite a lot of people use ARSG (Asynchronous Rotary Spark Gaps) which
are basically variable speed spark gaps.  They typically use standard
universal motors which
are very readily available and speed can be controlled via a small variac.
Performance comparisons between SRSG and ARSGs is still heavily debated as
to which is better, but
in my opinion, a ARSG is a much more fun way to run your coil than with a
"boring" synchronous spark gap.  Nothing in the world can compare to someone
revving up a high power
tesla coil at slow break rates and then gradually increasing the ARSG
towards the optimum break rate.  Sounds like accelerating your car from idle
to a screaming high RPM doing 150 MPH!!!

The Captain