Re: capacitance formula

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>
>
>I've been wondering what the capacitance between two conductive plates
>separated by some distance that is filled with both a sheet of plastic
>and some oil, where the plastic and oil have different dialectric
>constants, and the thickness of each is different.
>I've come to the conclusion that it will be the same as if it were two
>capacitors in series, one purely the plastic, the other purely the oil,
>each with their own individual thicknesses. Then use the series capacitance
>formula C = 1/ (1/c1 + 1/c2).
>Is this correct?
>-Pete Lawrence.
>
>.

Pete,

Yes.  And the voltage across the individual dielectric systems will share
identically as with capacitors connected in series.

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!