Feedback SSTC failure!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Robynsaddiction-at-aol-dot-com>

Hey List,

        I've spent a total of about 26 hours working on a SSTC board centered
on Justin and Aron's feedback design. The schematics that I used were from
Steve Ward's site. I have the board stuffed, and ready to go. However, not
even
the LED will fire up. With 12 volts in, I am getting 8 volts out of the GL7805
(should have 5 volts here), and only 12 volts out of the LM317 (should have 15
volts). Also, the 317 is getting hot. The square wave coming out of the 555
is very messy to say the least. Even adjusting the pot. on the power supply
will not give me the right voltages out of the regulators. I haven't
bothered to
check beyond this (wouldn't doubt it if I ruined all those expensive chips
somehow). I'm exhausted from two solid days of work on this project, and very
very lost. Anyone have any suggestions of where to begin? Thanks, Richard Harris