Re: High Voltage but Low Current fuses...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Terry,

You may be misinterpreting that rating.  What that 50,000A rating is, is
that the fuse is guaranteed to interrupt at 2A for currents up to 50,000A.

For example, if you connected the fuse to a source capable of putting out
100,000A short-circuit, then this fuse would likely not be able to interrupt
itself.
Most fuses have these ratings up to 10,000+A, even the small car bus fuses.

The Captain

 > Hi All,
 >
 > Jim sent me two fuses he had.  They are PT fuses rated at 4800V 2
 > amps.  The current break rating is 50,000 amps!!!  That is 200+ MVA!!
 >
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P7180039.jpg
 >
 > Since one was blown, I sawed it open:
 >
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P7180040.jpg
 >
 > Basically, just a fiberglass tube filled with sand.  A very thin wire was
 > wrapped around the center fiberglass board at about 2 turns per inch.
Very