Re: Breakdown Voltage Gradient and Paschen's Law - Doesn't make sense ?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > However, if I use d = 300cm (3 meters), i get about 24kV/cm, which is
 > way off from 6kV/cm.
 >
 > Is there an error in the above equation, or am I missing something???

The 6 kV/cm figure appears to be wrong, or not corresponding to the
situation where the formula would be valid (uniform field). By the
way, I don't see a physical reason for the square root term if the
field is really uniform. How would the charges at the surface of
an infinite plane conductor know what is the distance to an adjacent
infinite plane conductor if the surface field is uniform and static?
I stay with the fixed 30 kV/cm figure, with corrections for pressure
and temperature, that works well.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz