Re: magnets and arcs?

Original poster: "Harvey Norris by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

 > Daylight Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 > >Hey guys!
 > >I found this interesting thing on ebay. A BIG
 > magnet.
 > >In the description it talks about "7 feet
 > electrical arc"
 > >Is there anything to this?
 >
 >http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543487643
Maybe so, havent done much with NIB magnets. They do
offer a large resistance to AC alternator currents
when passed through the poles which might might seem
unusual as the unmagnetised metal would have offered
very little resistance. I wanted to do this to "see"
if the neodymium/iron/boron ,(NIB alloy magnets) would
"draw" electrical currents. Here are some other
observations concerning ferrite magnets that with
alternator AC currents may seem to "draw" current.
Some semi off topic stuff is in between....

Many examples of a magnetic field having a
"magnifying" effect upon arcing can be shown, and if
we consider a neon discharge a "form" of arcing, a
very concrete example of this can be shown in the last
single jpeg posted here.  It is "thought" that the
magnetic field helps the water skimming arc shown on
teslafy homepage
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/
Shown here is a 440 volt input application at ~ 70
watts. The violet arcing here represents the resonant
rise of voltage beyond that input, where the needle
and foil are connected to opposite midpoints of 180
phased series resonances at 60 hz with large ~60 Henry
coils.
The coil system that can produce these effects from
dual 60 hz resonances is shown at
Binary Resonant System with ordinary quenched arc gap
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/BRMA/Dsc00341.jpg
The modification to produce effects from a magnet is
to separate the opposing resonant voltage rises with a
water/glass/ electrode barrier, and then to place a 3
layer of SrFe wafers with a layer of speaker wire
magnet windings underneath the voltage separation. In
this situation a needle suspended just over the
surface of the water can be made to arc to the water
suface, which causes the magnet windings to show high
frequency currents. Arcing to the water surface
however is unnecessary however as a "more balanced" HF
effect can be obtained from just electrode submersion
into the water. If the bottom electrode is given a
foil connection to the water itself, more dramatic
water skimming arcs can be made as shown on teslafy
homepage. The measured "acting" q or voltage rise from
the separated electrode set up is measuresd to be
about 24/1
The water /glass / electrode barrier with magnet
windings is shown at
Magnet windings under CS glass process
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00449.jpg

Now the amazing thing about the magnet windings  and
the coil system itself is that because it is resonant
to the 60 hz power grid, voltages and currents from
the resonant coil system can be measured even when the
system is only connected to the grid via the off
switch position of a utility strip plugged to the
wall. It is thought that the off position of the
common utility strip device is not a double pole
disconnection, and that even in the off position the
ground line connection is still intact. Thus the
whole assembly can act as a "one wire" connection to
the electrical grids ground, and the small currents
and voltages noted in the system are due to "polar
effects" of a one wire connection to a 60 hz
resonance.
As such one can measure about 60 volts from a midpoint
voltage rise from a coil, when the  coil system device
is simply plugged into the off position of a utility
strip.  The "proof" that the magnet winding assembly
can amplify this voltage is made by simply attaching
the top beginning magnet winding to the midpoint
voltage source, which also has a surface area
connection to the top magnet, and then make make a new
voltage reading between the end magnet winding and the
ground source. This will cause the digital voltage
meter to double its recorded voltage from 60 volts to
120 volts. We can even then put a small radio shack
neon between these voltages and it will light as shown
at
Polar capacity neon discharge,(from utility strip off
position)
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/BRMA/DSC00100.JPG
We can actually scope out this small neon discharge to
see the trangular shape of the AC waveform that is
characteristic of neon discharges, from
Scoping of BRS polar capacity neon discharge
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/message/297
(putting the scope across the neon discharge itself
changes what we are trying to observe, as the neon
discharge increases when this is done)
"When the plate areas were added for a
capacitive filter effect it became possible to scope
the discharge itself, where the scope had to be turned
up to 50 volts per division, and the illumination of
bulb is vastly increased.
Higher discharge upon scoping bulb/50volts/div
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/BRMA/DSC00113.JPG
Somehow the scope enhances the actual currents being
observed, and obviously the voltage must be
increased."
Recently one of these induction coils developed
internal shorts, rendering it useless for causing
voltage rise. So effects were investigated using only
a single coil resonance. A Rife/Lakhovsky variation of
using polar capacity neon  currents to a human body
were previously being investigated as shown at
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00451.jpg

In order to keep the persons body somewhat "isolated"
from the actual high voltage source, the polar
capacity neon current is obtained exclusively from the
magnet windings, which have no direct electrical line
connections to the high voltage source. Reason would
dictate that this electrical source would be weaker
than what the actual line connection would give, since
in the isolated case the currents that do develope
must have a sort of magnetic ballasting made by travel
through the strontium ferrite (SrFe) of the magnetic
material. The scoping from a person, (.2 volts/div) is
actually about twice as strong as a scoping made from
the influence of the neon itself shown here as
position of inductor to recieve neon EM;
200 volt neon discharge using arc gap in series with
bodily polar capacity
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00463.jpg

Close up scoping of 200 volt arc gap neon discharge,
0.1 volt/div;10 us /div
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00464.jpg

With the advent of the loss of one coil, I decided to
investigate the process with just a direct electrical
connection to neon/arc gap foil connections. I was
indeed surprised to find that a weaker, and not a
stronger scope signal is then obtained. The magnet
winding signal is actually higher in voltage then a
single direct line connection signal without the
magnet. Again this shows how a "magnet" can amplify a
high voltage signal.  Even somewhat more mind boggling
is the fact of magnetic transmission of AC energy
through space. SrFe Magnets can be placed around the
central one being stimulated by the high voltage
source, and they can be felt by hand to be vibrating.
Scopings of inductors placed on magnets indicated a
signal approximately equal to that obtained directly
by the neon discharge. It is necessary to have an arc
gap in the neon circuit for this more profound effect
to take place.
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00484.jpg
Shows the distances involved for such a magnetic
transmission of energy from such a source. This same
coil system can also make colloidal silver water in a
different  low voltage application, also shown in the
jpeg; where the coil system serves as a variable
voltage source after diodes are attached between the
(lowered by variac voltage input) potentials.  The
same procedure can be done with a variac supplying a
low voltage to a NST; see
Current limited CS made with Variac/NST Method
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/message/760
A much more dramatic effect of the influence of
magnets on neon discharges is made with 480 hz
alternator resonances, and this last jpeg speaks for
itself.  Normally we can never simultaneously light
two neons in parallel, but in this particular method
it can be done.  Paradoxically the voltage source
itself of the alternator resonance via 14 gauge
induction system will not light the 4 inch neon, it is
thought that the amount of current found in the short
of the resonances is excessive, more than the bulbs
itself would be desirous to cause ionization, so a
sort of ballasting  to limit the current is made. One
pathway uses unmagnetised ferrite ceramic 8 as a
ballast in series, which is about 11 cylinders given
foil surface area separations for current conduction
through the ferrite. The other pathway has MINIMAL
surface area contact, made only by an upright copper
pipe electrical connection, however that pathway uses
MAGNETIZED cylinders of ferrite
From
A comparison between magnetised and unmagnetised
ferrite/neon interphasings.
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/message/195

Reduction of firing voltage/10 minutes
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/Outer%20DSR/Dsc00016.jpg
As I have previously mentioned, but not brought out in
detail; I made a parallel pathway with magnetised
ferrite and the same kind of 4 inch length neon
connected to the left of the former one. I also made
each pathway like a Marx Tank, so that each potential
sees both a neon and ferrite connection. Now the
situation is that each neon can light, and both are
ballasted, or perhaps better put, current limited
by their respective ferrite in series. Those pathways
are in parallel, but the magnetised pathway is showing
a very superior discharge. It was this experiment that
gives the idea of how ferrite magnetism draws current.
The unmagnetised pathway would not allow
that conduction to develope, where the neons here
easily indicate the differences in those conduction
pathways.
Sincerely HDN

=====
Tesla Research Group; Pioneering the Applications of Interphasal Resonances
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/