600kV, 3A Transformer "The Captain is Back"

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

The Captain is finally back from my trip to Europe.  Although I mostly did a
lot of recreational travel, I did manage to talk the wife into letting me
get some high voltage
into our schedule.  I got a private tour of the high voltage lab at the
University of Prague technical university.  Although I didn't get a chance
to see any of the equipment running,
I got to see some serious high voltage equipment and was also allowed to
take photos.

The most impressive thing in the lab was a 600kV, 3A (continuous) 50Hz
transformer.  Yep, thats right!  3A continuous output current at 600kV.
Makes our 15kVA pole transformers
look like children's toys!  Talk about a serious output bushing.

http://users.snip-dot-net/~liche/hvtrans01.jpg

The other impressive thing in the lab was a 2 million volt marx generator.
The marx generator had 10 stages each charged to 200kV and 1uF capacitance
per stage.  Output risetime I was told was about 1.5 usec.  Not too shabby!

http://users.snip-dot-net/~liche/marx01.jpg

Well, anyways, the Captain is back. I have the PlasmaSonic SSTC boards in
and will start mailing out this weekend once I get organized and settled
into everything again after my 3 week trip.

The Captain