Re: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Hi Ed,

At 06:01 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:

> > BTW - Don't play with these in the bathtub.  The tip is connected directly
> > to the AC line and maybe "hot" depending on how it is plugged in...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >          Terry
>
>         Since these are relatively low power devices and don't draw a lot of
>line current you could use an ordinary isolation transformer to give you
>line isolation safety.  Why don't you try it and tell us what you find
>out?
>
>Ed

It's really not a problem at all.  The tip is actually sparked gaped to
"sort of" isolate it.  "Vacuum wands" and such do provide isolation too...

But really, One is "pretty darn careful" with these "toys" anyway ;-))  The
fact that the tip is probably AC live is just something to be "aware
of"...  Normally, no problem at all.

The adjustment knob on the end is on a metal shaft that the modern versions
try to isolate with several nylon washers against casual contact as
well.  Works perfectly fine as long as the user "understands"...  there is
a giant label on the side that tells of all this.  However, unlike the old
one in the picture on Jeff's site, I don't seem to be able to find the big
fat bright UL label on mine :o)))

Cheers,

         Terry