Limited Range Variacs?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <MShock8073-at-aol-dot-com>

I have been offered 2 commercial duty voltage regulators, that are used,
but in working condition. They appear to be Superior Electric Stabiline
units and do indeed have inside each, a pair of the large frame variable
transformers Superior is known for. I was very excited at my "find" and
overlooked the fact that the variacs had no info on their plates as I bid
on them. I had come to believe that I lived in an industrial vacuum, devoid
of surplus electrical goodies here in the deep south. So, I was surprised
to be offered this treasure. To add to my theory of an industrial
vacuum,  I now find out that the Stabiline units use limited range variacs
that drive buck-boost transformers to gain clean power at incredible
ratings. I was told by the seller that these units are rated to handle over
200 amps each, constant. But, then again he described them to me over the
phone as "gazintas" (i.e., electricity goes into here and goes out there.)
I knew it had to be too good to be true that I found 4 1156Ds for an
affordable price.

Now, the big question.... I need a variable ballast to control my vintage
Westinghouse 5KVA PDT, and while I think my skills have grown up to piggie
power, I am unfamiliar with limited range variacs. I need some advice from
anyone with knowledge of these things as to whether or not I should buy
them. Can they be rewired for fullrange operation by moving taps, are they
useable as variable inductors for the range of a 5KVA pig, are they useless
boat anchors for our hobby? I can get a new welder for about the same
money, but these things have that mad scientist feel to them that keeps my
neighbors on their side of the fence.

PS as you can see, I am an AOL prisoner, and we miss a lot of posts. It
would be helpful if any replies could be CCd to the list and to my address
too. Thanks in advance.

Marc S.