Re: Strange operating conditions for a SSTC

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

That is very strange!

Are you sure that the coil is still in tune?

Otherwise, maybe (just a somewhat ignorant guess), the variacs inductance
is energy storage for the coil?  My SSTCs seem to draw some hefty peak
powers, but really, that is a small coil.  Ive run mine with and without
variacs with the same outputs (at 500w and 12" sparks) and with variacs of
different sizes at 1400w with 18" sparks(2 different coils).

Other than that, i dont know what else to say!