Re: MMC cap bank

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Tesla list writes:
>Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> > >Beau has been experimenting with RF caps since we were all knee high to a
> > >grasshopper (or less) and is a very respected professional in this area.
> > >PCI, CSI, and Maxwell all use silicone oil in their caps.  Short cuts
> >
> > I don't believe Maxwell uses silicone like everybody else. They somehow
> > even pull off using paper in high rep pulse caps, where everybody else
>just
> > uses polypropylene and a compatible oil. My General Atomics caps is full
>of
> > isopropyl biphenyl, and my PCI caps are silicone oil, all of which are AC
>GA/Maxwell uses Castor Oil in their paper caps (So called Series C Energy
>Discharge).. One advantage is that the dielectric constant of castor oil is
>in the area of 5, compared to 2.5 for mineral oil, so you get twice as much
>C in the same volume. So, you can maybe design a bit more margin into the
>cap while keeping the energy density the same.  The white plastic cased caps
>from GA/Maxwell are mineral oil and polypropylene, as far as I know... I
>can't find my application note which describes it in gory detail.

I highly doubt this. They use a whole bunch of impregnants in the many
plastic cased caps they make. It's not likely they use mineral oil and
polypropylene either. Mineral oil dissolves polypropylene. I found this
when I wound my own caps, and this was confirmed by several other
companies. I had a decent chat with General Atomics cap people when they
made me a cap, because I had to ask how paper was going to be used, when
none of the other manufacturers I spoke to quoted anything other than hazy
PP film and their favorite oil. Oddly, General Atomics was still cheaper
than the others, so I went with them.
KEN