Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>John -
>
>It actually is a random maximum spark length and also a random watt second
>energy that produces these sparks. However, I believe this is a useless
>ratio for Tesla coils. A ratio consisting of random numbers can give you an
>infinite number of unusable solutions.

John,

Well I don't look at watt-seconds for this application of the formula.
The maximum spark length does have random characteristics, but
from a practical standpoint, it's a maximum spark length.  And this
formula was designed for practical use.

>OK it was a twin coil with a 36 inch spark. Note that the 36 inch spark
>still gives a 396% over unity energy efficiency regardless of the type of
>Tesla coil. The big problem is in my amazing (arbitrary) number crunching.

That's the problem with arbitrary number crunching.

>Clever number crunching can lead to nonsense. Like the old high school
>algebra problem where it is proven that 1 = 2.  However, I agree that it is
>fair to use a different multiplier (2.4) for your equation with a different
>type of TC. How many twin TCs have been in agreement with this equation?

I have no idea, but I would imagine some may if they have been
built to give efficient results.

John