Re: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

HI Marc,
          Thanks for elucidating:

On 29 Jan 2003, at 23:56, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
 >  >
 >  > Marc,
 >  >         A query on this statement from Dave:
 >  >
 >  > On 29 Jan 2003, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  >  > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 >  > <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>
 >  >  >
 >  >  > In a message dated 1/29/03 7:24:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
 >  >  > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >  >  > >Bart,
 >  >  > >   I personally believe the extended length of the discharge is due
 > to the
 >  >  > >space charging of the system itself. in the 120" strike to the
aluminium
 >  >  > >ladder, the ladder itself glowed with a corona extending toward the
 >  >  > >discharge just before contact.
 >  >
 >  > <snip>
 >  >
 >  >  > Anyway, I guess I'm just wondering if the current level of 2 kVA, 120"
 >  >  > sparks is going to be as high as the current level of 7 kVA, 120"
 >  >  > sparks, assuming, of course, full proper tuning of both coils?
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Sparkin' in Memphis,
 >  >  > David Rieben
 >  >
 >  > Was that 2kW measured at the wallplug? If so, John Freau's equation
 >  > relating power to sparklength is in need of serious revision and you
 >  > appear to have reached a cherished goal I first had in mind about 7
 >  > years ago.
 >
 > malcolm,
 >   The two kva was a result of using two 1kva control transformers
 > paralleled to ballast the 300-1 potential transformer. I also had twin
 > ct's on the power leads to the pt which were connected to the current
 > meters on my control panel.
 >   I must say that it took much finesse of primary height and tapping to
 > achieve this max strike, but i have it on tape and will try to get it on
 > my site.
 >   We must start to understand that not only the energy input of a system
 > governs the strike distance, also the space charging is included toward
 > total output.
 > Marc M.

I'm still not clear on whether the 2 kW was actually measured. As we
all know, transformer faceplate ratings don't mean a thing when it
comes to power throughput. I'd be interested to hear a comment from
John Freau and others on this apparent demolition of what seemed like
a well-supported-by-experiment equation. I'm not of course saying
that it can't be done - just noting that when an apparent discrepancy
of this magnitude it should be properly investigated.

Regards,
malcolm