Re: Questions on first coil...

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

  Hi Brad,

I didn't got to this a day late. Guess others answered your questions?
Sounded like you still had some questions on the primary.

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><CoolCorals-at-aol-dot-com>

>Primary:  4.37"d x 2"H x 7 turns x 6 ga (win tesla.159wire, .100 space, 7
>turns L= .0117mH)
>
>  4.  Now my big problem now.  I have just finished the primary and tested
> it's inductance on my RLC.  Actual L= .005945mH  Win Tesla
> .0117mH!!!!!!!  That's almost double the actual inductance!!! What's up
> with that?

I must assume your coil is a helical primary? Using 6awg (.0162") bare wire
with 7 turns, you end up with about 0.15" spacing between turns to get 2"
height. Fantc showed Ldc = 5.83uH (pretty darn close to your meter
reading). I suspect WinTesla was given incorrect input values. I'd would
doublecheck if the inputs you entered were for a flat coil (0 deg) instead
of a helical (90 deg) coil.

Take care,
Bart