Tips on setup/tuning for first coil

Original poster: "Resonance Research Corp. by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Never start out with a "fixed" primary.  Always use (in this design) at
least 15-20 turns of scrap house wire (12 AWG) for a "test" primary.  After
tuning is established then you can revert to the correct number of turns for
your "finished" and beautiful copper tubing primary.  Keep spark gap spacing
very close, use a wire off the toroid and a ground wire so you can actually
measure the initial spark, and tune at lower power variac setting -- around
20 to 25% max.

For good electrostatic protection keep you toroid 1-2 inch above the last
turn of the sec. coil.  Also, space wind the last 3 turns of the sec.
winding to slow reduce distributed capacitance and prevent excessive voltage
buildup on the very last turn which "sees" less capacitance due to the fact
this turn is not "sandwiched" between adjacent turns.

It looks like a nice design.  Later, you might substitute a 9 kV 30 mA or 60
mA NST for more output.  Be sure to use a good protection circuit to protect
your NST.  Terry has several in the archives.

Hope you can make it up to Wis. Dells, WI, for our Teslathon next fall.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corp.
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo,  WI  53913