RE: My first ARSG - Tribute to Terry Blake !

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Thanks Terry.  One comment was made that the rotor / shaft interface would
become loose over time, but thats the
beauty of this thing.  Just cut another piece of 1" polyethylene, drill two
holes, and thats it.  Takes 5-10 minutes
tops and cost almost nothing.

I've already test driven this piece and I agree that at 15,000RPM (2000 BPS
for 8 electrodes) it might be sketchy, but at 120BP and 240BPS breakrates,
its not moving too fast.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I really like the design!

A see a few others think it should be classified as a weapon of mass
destruction ;-) but "I" would rather have this come apart at 10,000 RPM
rather than a conventional rotor.  Any high speed gap can be a bomb, but
this one looks like it would have far less powder ;-))  Having the rod hit
one at 200 feet/sec is bad.  But getting hit by a five pound rotor (or its
fragments) at 200f/s is bad too!

If they can hold the blades on a helicopter, I think we can figure out how
to hold this rod in place ;-)  I would use like G-10 and epoxy.  "I" guess
"I" would test it flying off too just to see what happens and see what
needs to be done to hold it in.  But such testing would have to be done
very safely.  It may be possible to use a far shorter rod too.

This design is really nice in that you can use a small common motor to run
it.  No need for big heavy 1/4 hp motors!

BTW - Don't be put off buy the sudden safety concerns.  We just don't want
you to get hurt by a new design that "may" have hidden dangers.  But I
think the idea is great!!

Cheers,

          Terry