Re: high voltage resistors

Original poster: "robert & june heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Mark: I have used both 12$ glass case high voltage resistors and series
o.05$ composition resistors with equal sucess. The only resistors I have had
trouble with are the carbon film precision resistors and the new film
resistors. These have a spiral carbon film that tends to arc over with high
voltage. The composition resistors have the wire imbeded in the insulation
material and are not as inclined to arc over as film resistors with end
caps. In time the end caps get small holes in the paint coating and
breakdown. I solder the resistor leads side by side with no wrap for high
voltage use.
   Robert  H