Re: high voltage resistors

Hi Mark,

20,000 volts across a 35kOhm resistor is a stunning 11.5kW of power =:O

I guess it is "pulsed", but beware that kind of power can rip a resistor to
shreds over time.  Good thing Malcolm is on his long vacation, or he would
be all over our cases :o)))

For the voltage, you need about 2 inches between the terminals to be
"really" safe.  For the power, you needs lots of surface area.  But it is
less than one amp, so we are in the thick film region.  DigiKey page 734
and 725 has thick film resistors.  Something like two SM204J15K-ND's may do
it (page 725 of current cat.).

However, huge power pulses can be messy, so beware...  You may be best off
with a bunch of cheap 1/2 watt resistors like we use in MMCs...

Cheers,

         Terry