Re: Primary flat wire????

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > To save some space, I'd like to build a primary using flat ribbon type
 > wire???
 >
 > I think both Ed Wingate and Terry Blake had used bronze or copper
 > weatherstripping.
 > Anyone have a cheap source for this stuff.  So far, the places I looked at
 > were sell 10mils, 1" wide
 > stripping in 100 foot rolls for $200.00 or so.
 >
 > Dan

Dan,

Most of the brass strip material I've used in coil primaries came from the
metal stamping trade where large coils
of strip stock are fed into progressive dies mounted in punch presses that
stamp a hundred or more parts per
minute. The material is either the beginning or end of these large coils
and may have scratches or nicks and dings
that make it unsuitable for part manufacture, but with a little buffing
with Scotch-Brite (tm), is fine for Tesla
coil work. You might check with a metal stamping firm or a supplier who
furnishes their material. The supplier
will, of course, be a bit pricey, but $200.00 for a 1" X .010 X 100' roll
is outrageous! I had some copper strip
3" X .030" X 100' custom slit and it wasn't THAT expensive.

Ed Wingate RATCB