Re: Negative Resistance

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Steve,

Good thinking also on your behalf.  For those concerned that a solid state
diode does not have ionization like a spark gap, I suggest using a common
neon bulb.  After Neon striking (ionization) there is also a "negative
resistance" in their EI curve.  I don't have the time, but maybe someone
will design a circuit for dead on tuning a TC primary and secondary around
the common (cheap) neon bulb.  Terry?

RWW

 > Good thinking!  Where do we get KW tunnel diodes or P-N FET combos?  I
 > believe the Poulsen arc oscillators are an example of high power negative
 > resistors.
 >
 > Here's another, lower powered thought:  Could one hook a Lamda or tunnel
 > diode directly to a primary LC, causing it to be a few milliwatt
oscillator,
 > dangle a scope probe "antenna" a few feet from the secondary, and
real-time
 > tune the primary to the secondary by finding the primary tap point that
 > gives the highest scope trace amplitude?  Probably would have to move the
 > tap out a bit more to compensate for streamer loading under normal
 > operation.  Or, could one just add a wire to the toroid the same length
and
 > direction as a typical streamer, and use your lambda diode  /scope antenna
 > tuner to tune it "dead on" for normal operation?
 >
 > --Steve Young

--- Richard Wayne Wall
--- rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com