Re: magnifier driver question

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>

 > hi all,
 >          im wondering about drivers for my maggie and i have a question
 > does the diameter of the driver effect performance i realise that the h/d
 > ratio will effect coupling from primary to secondary but im thinking since
 > the driver is just transformer action the only thing i can see is the change
 > in inductance.
 > and if its smaller diameter then surely the smaller amount of wire will
 > amount to a lower impedance also

A driver with just transformer action would require very high
inductances
and very high coupling, both impractical. Better to consider the
two inductances and the actual coupling coefficient in the design, at
least. See my other post about magnifiers.
Once chosen the required inductances for the driver (see the equivalent
in other post, or design it by the optimal formulas), the better
approach would be to minimize the wire, producing coils of the highest
possible Q for the used wires. this would result on a wide and short
coil for the secondary (there is an optimum aspect ratio, that I don't
remember now. Something close to 1:1). The primary coil would be also
a solenoid, if your design requires really high coupling. A conical
primary may be enough, or even a flat coil, that would couple well
to a wide and short secondary.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz