Re: BIG VTTC project

Original poster: "Andy, KB3EWY by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

Greg,

I can't comment on the 4-1000 directly, I have a YU-204, which is the same
spec-wise as the 4PR-1000A, pulse rated.  Mine is rated for only 1000W
plate, 10KV plate and like 2 or 3 KV grid?  The power supply for my VTTC is
two MOTs in series without ballasting or voltage doubling, although i'm
sure a single MOT with voltage doubler would work (never could get those
diodes from burning up).  Anyway, I had to supply voltage to the screen
grid, I just used half of the plate supply for this through a 50W 40K power
resistor. So the screen and control grid do not get tied
together.  Although this was with a slightly different tube, this may not
be required on a tube that was designed for a lower voltage.  (yours: 3KV,
mine: 10KV) The filament supply was a core from a 15/30 NST that went
bad.  Saved the primary for it and wound another secondary.  Use heavy wire
for it though, 22A.  I managed 7" arcs my first time out.  Cp was 500pF
30KV doorknob, Grid(C) was 500pF 30KV doorknob and!
  a 100W 10K variable power resistor.  Primary was 50 turns on a 3" PVC
form.  Secondary was 1000 turns #32 on 2" PVC.  Grid coil is 20 turns on
small 6" PVC.  24" arcs should be reasonable for this tube, especially
running two of them in parallel!  See my webpage for more details.

Andy C.
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/kb3ewy

Andy C
Internet Homepage: http://users.rcn-dot-com/tcobaugh/