Re: Tesla's big coil. Was; What about test equipment and stuff?

Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

Tesla's big coil drew enough power to meltdown the generators at CS? I
understand that's an urban myth! (As the 135 foot discharges, too) The
story I heard is that Tesla was operating his coil at a frequency that was
a multiple harmonic of the resonate frequency of the coils in the
generator. The generator windings resonated sympathetically, causing a
voltage rise sufficient to form an arc across the commutator rings, drawing
many times the current the thing was designed and literally burnt itself
out. Too bad Tesla didn't have Terry's line filters!  ;-O

Tesla may have been responsible for this (and probably was) but not from
drawing a gazillion watts. The breakers would have tripped long before this
could be possible, but they wouldn't trip from resonate rise, hehe!

I read this story on this very list several years ago but cannot recall who
authored it. It's probably still in the archives.

Daniel

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 02/06/2003 03:22:40 PM