Kevlar spark gap armor - NOT!

Hi All,

My 4 x 5 foot sheet of Kevlar arrived today.  A very odd material
indeed.  It is sort of rough but not too bad.  Almost like a thick course
wool blanket.  I don't find it irritating to the skin, but some folks
might.  It is about 1/10 inch thick woven interlocked weave stuff.  The
fibers are long and well attached so it is not "dusty" at all.  Machining
and such would cause possibly bad dust, but just the fabric is pretty tame.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P2060019.jpg

I found a pair of common tin snips cuts it like butter.  A bit more
disturbing, I found my big razor sharp grizzly bear hunting knife also cuts
it like butter :-|

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P2060020.jpg

However, a Phillips screw driver and other blunt things are easily stopped
dead by the fabric.  It is odd how much it resists the screwdriver, but the
knife cuts right through it.  A common 2 inch nail also has no problem
punching through it.

I can easily see how many layers (like 1 inch) of the stuff could stop a
bullet.  I am not so sure it would be great against knives (but far better
than nothing...).

To the matter at hand.  I worry that small heavy tungsten bits may go
through a single layer.  Certainly anything big, like a chunk of a rotor,
could easily be stopped buy the fabric.  But small sharp fragments, or say
a tungsten rod tip hitting it at high speed, could go through it rather
easily.  It is thick, so I don't know how easily one could impregnate the
fabric with epoxy.  Probably need very thin epoxy and a vacuum process to
do it right.  But in general, I can not recommend this stuff for spark gap
armor.  there are probably different types of Kevlar and all that, but this
garden variety type soft fabric is not much use to us.

Cheers,

	Terry