RE: First light - or rather disappointing performance

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Check out Gary Laus Minicoil showdown at his site.
There so far a few 4kv/20mA coils which are putting out a pretty good show
for the power.

http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoilcontest/index.htm

The Captain

Chris,
        I've built LOTS of "small" TCs, all on 3 and 3.5 inch (76 and 90 mm)
coil forms, with many different sizes of wire and hence number of turns,
and started with a 6kv-30ma NST also.

I never got more than 6 to 8 inch sparks from a 6-30 NST,
10 to 12 inch from a 7.5-30 NST
and 14 to 16 inch from a 9kv-30ma NST.

Small TCs just don't perform according to the "formula" the way larger TCs
do.