Re: Paint breakdown at high voltage

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

1. the "Mole Trails" are Carbon Tracks :) you can create a similar
phenomenon in wood, plastic, and even the thin glass of a lightbulb :) It's
the bane of the HV world. Carbon Tracks forming in the tar are the #1 cause
of all NST failures.

2. Never, ever, paint an insulator, period. Black is the worst (and a
common color for people to paint coil bits) but others have it to. It's not
the metallic bits you have to watch out for, those are clearly labelled as
such. It's the Carbon (there's that word again) that is mixed into the
paint, or one of a thousand other ingrediants, that is either conductive,
or conductive enough to work at HV.

The solution? Build a new gap.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change
the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

The ability to learn is older - as it is also more widespread - than is the
ability to teach.
     - Both from Margaret Mead, 1901 - 1978