RE: ...sounds totally newbie, but...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Not at all a newbie question!  The problem with running without a secondary
is that all of the power that would normally go into streamers will now be
dissipated in the primary components.  The lion's share will just generate
additional heat in the gap.  But without a secondary, there is no longer
quenching, so the amount of time (actually duty cycle)  that the cap and
NST see RF oscillations is now much greater.  And dielectric losses in the
cap will now generate more heat than if there was a secondary, so your caps
will take a MUCH more severe beating than normal.

I had a similar need to operate without a secondary as I played with sync
RSG timing.  I wanted to adjust the sync timing and scope waveforms without
worrying about being hit with a streamer.  What I did was to replace the
primary coil with three series-connected 120V 500W halogen floodlight
bulbs.  I was using a 15kV/60mA NST power supply, you may need more or less
for other power supplies.  A photo may be seen on my site at
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/sync_gap.htm.  These are tubular bulbs and
have a high standoff voltage, despite the obvious 120V/5kV
over-volting.  The brightness of the bulbs did a very good job of
indicating the sweet timing spots.  It wasn't clear if your tank frequency
needed to be left intact in your application; replacing the primary with a
dummy load resistor clearly alters this ;-)

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry
Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" ><cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>