Re: Safety of Running Coil in Garage

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Alan,

No problem running you coil in the garage.  I run my coil of the same size
there all the time without problem.  That being said, there are some things
to watch out for.  You mentioned the garage door opener.  Make sure it is
at least unplugged before running.  I have had strikes to the drive track
have activated the opener.  :-)  It's also recommended by some that you
shield the antenna and control circuit box with some chicken wire.

Our computer is about 20' from where I run the coil and we have had no
problems other than the modem disconnecting.  The only other effects that
I've seen around the house is that our cordless phone sometimes rings and
our halogen floor lamp will flicker.  I'm told by a friend and fellow
coiler that the lamp problem is caused by RF getting into the diac in the
dimmer control.

In regards to the length of sparks, my 15/60 coil produces about 36" of
spark.  Some coils produce more, like Gary Lau's, and some produce less.

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX
http://teslacoils4christ-dot-org